INTERVIEWS WITH Jennifer Beals, Laurel Holloman, Kate Moennig, Rachel Shelley as The L Word comes to an end.

IT SEEMS HARD TO BELIEVE that five years have passed since The L Word made its huge debut on Showtime, bringing gay women out of the supporting role closet and to the foreground as primetime leading ladies.

We have put together some interesting facts, characters profiles, and recaps of every episode, from season 1 up to now. As the sixth and final season of this groundbreaking series gets set to air on January 18, 2009, we at She felt there was no better way to send it off in-style than to talk with some of the women who brought us episode after episode of The L Word to love.

JENNIFER BEALS:
Did you ever think that this show would give you such a big comeback, and that it would be in a gay role?
I don’t look to have a comeback or an impact on anybody, other than myself. It’s about following the story and what story is meaningful to me and what I connect with. That’s my biggest criteria. The mortgage is maybe a distant second.
You can’t help but notice that almost every character has had either semi-nude or full-nude scenes on the show except for you. Was that a personal choice?
I didn’t think it was necessary. I think I’ve effectively conveyed Bette’s sense of intimacy and sexuality without showing nudity.

LAUREL HOLLOMAN:
Being a mom in real life and in the show, what differences or obstacles, if any, did you find between a straight and gay mother?
The main problem is that there should be a gay marriage. But basically, I don’t know how much I can say without giving things away. Let’s just say going to the hospital and being not legally married, one mother, the birth mother, which would be Tina, gets recognized before that. And that’s a problem, and a straight mother does not have to deal with that.

[read more]

source: She Magazine


No comments: